REAL ID Is Here. Are You Ready?
On October 1, 2020, you will need either a REAL ID or a valid U.S. passport to board a domestic plane.
Do I Need a REAL ID?
Yes, if you…
- Travel the country by plane
- Visit military bases or federal buildings
No, if you…
- Have a Gold Star on your CT License or ID (It’s a REAL ID!)
- Use a valid U.S. Passport for domestic travel
- Do not travel the country by plane
- Do not visit military bases or federal buildings
Why do I need a REAL ID?
After the terrorist attacks of 9/11, we needed a stronger identity verification system for U.S. citizens. REAL ID cuts down on fraud and creates a stronger pathway to security.
When must I get a REAL ID?
If you plan to fly on a domestic flight or plan to visit federal facilities, you’ll need to get a REAL ID or a U.S. passport by October 1, 2020.
What happens if I show up to my flight with my standard driver’s license/ID?
After the October 1, 2020 deadline, If you do not have a REAL ID or valid U.S. passport, you will not be permitted through the security checkpoint.